Sunday, August 14, 2011

Only in India

I have found myself saying "only in India" quite a lot. I have had so many bizarre experiences in the past few weeks that I would never had imagined. At times I actually find myself wondering who I am. India has already changed me in 3 weeks. And that's another thing.. I can't believe I have been here for an entire 3 weeks already :) Time has passed so fast.
So as I was saying, I find myself in situations that last year I never would have imagined. I find myself doing things, saying things, and expecting things that actually scare me. I look back at them and think to myself "Who was that?"
I have ignored poor children begging me for money, walked away and not looked back. Already I am used to having a maid, used to expecting my bed to be made, my bathroom to be cleaned, my dishes to be washed. Many times I have argued with an auto driver about an unfair price, insisting on 50 rupees when he wants 70, afterwards realizing that his house is most likely somewhere in the many slums, he is trying to support his family, and all he wanted was a little more than a dollar. I have ignored and been angry with the many people who stare at me, finding it overly annoying, when they can probably count on their fingers how many white people they have seen in their life time.  I have seen so many slums and so many people who have nothing. I have kept walking, ignored them, done nothing.
Many times I have looked back at these experiences and not recognized this person. It honestly scares me! India is so much different from America. I can't even give justice to these 3 weeks with only words. But there are also the truly amazing moments that I don't think twice about.
Eating ice cream with the other exchange students, going to Cafe Coffee day (which is like starbucks, but Indian) every single day, riding on top of a car while it is moving ( I guess this is completely normal and legal...) but don't worry they only do it on the side roads! I have ridden down the highway with only my legs inside the windows, gone shopping in the market, played cricket in the street, gone 80 km per hour on the back of a motorcycle, worn a sari, tied rakhi to 7 new brothers, started to learn hindi, helped my host mom cook in the kitchen, and learned how to cross an Indian road ( well at least I haven't been hit yet!). But most importantly I have met people that will impact my life. People who I will know 60 years from now and still remember the year that changed our lives.
I keep having to remind myself that I have only been here for 3 weeks. It seems like I have been here for a year :) I know that there will be so much more to come during this year. I just hope I can keep up with the blogging so I don't forget anything about it!
Oh and I have been able to understand certain words that people say when they speak in Hindi. It is quite exciting to sort of know what they are talking about :) And of course I have been working on speaking it as well!
Namaste,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're having a good time! I hope time doesn't start flying by for you so you can savor every moment.
    But DUDE! Car riding, what a rush. I think we know what to put on our bucket list next summer ;) I Love You!
    Missing the bacon sheets,
    Alia <3

    ReplyDelete